Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Dissapointed with the end

I really enjoyed reading Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, however I was not overly impressed with the way the book ended. Although the book was written with the intent that the reader reflect on the idea that everyone has to die at some point I still felt that it was very depressing and I suppose not what I usually get out of a book.

I was hoping for somewhat of a happy ending that could have been something along the lines of clones finally acheiving some sort of rights. Instead, the book ends off with clones being worse off then the beginning of the novel because the attempts to better their lives, like Hailsham, just fall apart. At the very least he should have left us with more hope that something could have turned it all around for them. As cheesy as it sounds maybe he should have made Kathy pregnant or something along those lines. This would ultimately prove that they were no different than any other human and would be a positive step towards providing them with more ethical treatment even though I agree it would have been kind of tacky.

Another thing that bothered me a little bit was that everyone died and Kathy was left alone. We can assume that she did end up going through her donations. After being a carer for so long she had seen all her friends complete and now unfortunately has to go through hers basically alone with no one who she is overly familiar with.

It just seemed that everything that could make this book extremely dissapointing and depressing did in fact happen, causing me to realize that I was hoping for something that ideally would not be a reality. I suppose in reality that this is most likely what would actually happen and there really would not be much anyone could do about it. In addition, we, being the non-clone society, would be those who are benefiting from the situation would likely not care or even know what was happening.

In the end it seems that since we really get to know the students and become sort of attached to their lives we are really sympathetic for them when their lives start to fall apart. In reality, if this were occurring to this extent, we likely would not be so sympathetic because the benefits of this process would be that our friends and family would be living longer healthier lives with these donated organs.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed - we'd probably just turn a blind eye.

    I do wonder why he chose the ending he did. I'm sure he thought of alternative endings, and may have written various versions before going with this one. Perhaps the happy ending was too desirable and expected?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I suppose if he wanted people to talk about his book, an unpredictable ending would usually spark some discussion.

    ReplyDelete